Thursday, December 15, 2011

ThomPhatt

I wrapped up the work day on Tuesday and gathered the phattessories to hit the snow on the phattie.  I decided to head up to Thompson Park and check out what was rideable.  There was one trail that was packed down and rideable up to the railroad tracks.

The upper trails have not been packed down or hiked yet so the snow is too deep and loose to ride.  I rode the old railroad bed up to the trussel and saw that they had done a lot of work to it.  There are now railings on the trussel and the surface has been redone so it is no longer loose dirts, but it is all wood!  They did a nice job and you can see they spent a lot of energy and $ to get it updated.

The ride proper was super fun - it was an hour of feeling like a child again...just reminding me of why and how riding can be so much fun.  Throw a couple of new twists onto an old theme and a whole new world opens up.  It is pretty cool as I am just starting to understand and see the possibilities.

Ride Info:
started at the second pullout and headed up to the RR bed where I went up to the trussel, turned around and went through both tunnels and traced my snow tracks back to the trail I originally climbed up.
 I think the elevation graph is a little messed up because I had the Garmin in my pocket (hoping Santa delivers a mount for the bike) so the temps and calcs it does to figure out elevation were off.  I believe it figures out atmospheric or barometric pressure to determine elevation so the fact that it was in my pocket and dealing with my sweatiness probably threw it all off.


The challenge of keeping the feet warm remains to be resolved...I tried a different combo this time with 2 pairs of socks but my feet still felt like wooden blocks when I finished the hour long ride.  Next combo might involve goretex socks for wicking moisture away from the feet.  That base wick layer seems to be working for my hands.  I have a thin liner that wicks away moisture from my hands and moves it to the thicker gloves that I use over the liners....so far, so good.  The hands should feel even toastier once the Pogie option gets thrown into the mix.

pix of the adventure:
nice railings
 entry way
 on the trussel
 looking down to Roosevelt Drive
 Railings are sturdy - bonus!
 notice the re-done surface...nice and burly
 bike portrait





 must remember to bring ice skates next time:


No comments:

Post a Comment