Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Single Speed Chain/ Chain Ring / Rubber

The mechanical prep for the High Cascades 100 included swapping out the drive train on the single speed and putting on new rubber.

I went with a Niner chain ring - same size (32 tooth).  I had to use the old chain ring bolts as the bolts provided with the Niner set up were not long enough.  I also have a new chain on there now too....now to find some time to get out and ride it a little to ensure all is running smoothly.

The old chainring definitely had a serious case of the shark teeth going on!
As for the rubber....I decided to opt for the slightly burlier sidewall tires in the Conti Mountain King tire for the fronts.  It is about a 200 gram penalty (compare to Schwalbe Raching Ralphs) but am hoping it will provide a little extra piece of mind on the sidewalls as we go through the sharp lava rocks.  On the rear, I will be running the Maxxis Ikon which is not quite as aggressive and should be a good roller.  I am hoping the more aggressive tire on the front will hook up better.

 The Maxxis tire sealed up pretty well with Stan's but the Conti was feeling a little soft this a.m. so I re-inflated and am hoping it sealed up - will have to monitor during the day....



No comments:

Post a Comment