Wednesday, August 14, 2013

MTB Smoky Happy Valley

The singlespeed is 'in the shop' at the moment - the free hub body and bearings on the hub need to be replaced...TLC for the SS...

Since the SS was in the shop I took the gearie out and decided to drive up to Skyliners and ride N Fork up to Happy Valley and go up Happy Valley to the first lookout spot that overlooks the creek crossing and meadow.  My last time up this section (Happy Valley) was during the High Cascades 100 on the singlespeed and I was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable it was with gears!  It is amazing how it goes from being a grind to just spinning!

I was eager to head downhill too since I have always connected that trail going the uphill direction.  Since I was on the full squish, I knew it was going to be a hoot!  Once I turned around, the descent was ON and it was time to let 'er rip.  It was really fun and I can see why the uphill direction is a bit of a grind considering the speed of descent.

The best part of the day was that I ran into one other lone rider.  It felt like the trails were my own.  It was a little smoky out as I could not get very good views of BrokenTop.  I was a little surprised at how loose the descent on Farewell was.  It has gotten pretty hammered and it probably needs the reprieve of winter to heal.

A big thumbs for the after-work ride...a nice steep climb followed by an equally steep descent!




No comments:

Post a Comment