Monday, September 16, 2013

Roadtrip: Revelstoke - Martha's Creek


recapped by the wifer:

The next day we decided to try ride with a little different flavor- a climb up fireroad to a well known downhill called Martha Creek, which ended just across the road from our campground.  We started climbing and very quickly I was drenched with sweat and completely out of breath.  The legs were definitely tired, and I decided it would be wise to start the downhill at the lower point rather than continuing all 5000 feet of climbing to the top for the full descent.  (most people shuttle the ride).  It took a little bit of pathfinding to find the trail, and we were a little worried about bears since it was right next to a creek and where there are berries, there are bears (that’s my motto, anyway).  We saw a large area where the brush was matted down and I can only imagine a very large bear (or some other animal) had been lying down for a while.  We had bear bells and carried spray, but soon started talking loiudly to the local bear population, letting them know we were not very tasty.

The downhill singletrack was quite technical and rooty, and though Tiago made it look easy I had to concentrate extra hard to make sure I did not go over the handlebars.  It was good to work on my skills, though I must say I have new respect for B.C. riders!  We drove in to town later that night to grab some Indian food takeout and settle in for the night with our food and a beer and look out at the lake.   This was definitely somewhere worth coming back to!







No comments:

Post a Comment