Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bikepacking Oregon Outback Day 3

We found a place on the side of the road to pull up an bivvy.  A few miles earlier we had passed a bunch of eyes in the night that curiously followed us as we went by them.  I saw these eyes on the side of the road and started to think through what they were.  They were not cows (too low to the ground), not deer (too close together), not cats (too many of them), and I guessed coyotes.

As we set up the makeshift camp, my guess was confirmed when we heard coyotes howling pretty close by,  They had followed us about 5 miles down the road and were scoping us out.  As soon as we heard the howls and how close they were, we decided it would be a good idea to to start a fire.  We started a fire and then heard them on the other side of us...they were circling us and determining what foul smelling critters went by them at night earlier.  Fortunately, they did not get closer (that we know of) - although they were already close enough to sleep with one eye open.

We awoke without too much excitement and decided to hit the road and make breakfast down the road as we were being swarmed by hungry skeeters.  We found a place a few miles down the road where we were able to sit in the sun, warm up, and warm up some water.

Ater breakfast, the pedaling resumed and we settled into the grind.  We were riding through the Fremont Forest and our travels would eventually take us to Silver Lake where we road into town to load up at the convenience store before meeting the rest of the crew later that evening at the Cowboy Dinner Tree.

I had never been to the CDT so I was anxious to see what the hype was all about.  All I had heard was that it was somewhat rustic and the served more than you can eat.  As a hungry biker I took this as a challenge...little did I know what was in store.

The rest of the crew rolled in and we all anticipated a big meal with what we thought was a big appetite.  I have to admit that my appetite was absolutely no match for the monster meal served.  I got about 1/2 way though my 30 oz steak and tapped out...I was done, done and done.

The meal was impressive but soon enough it was time to get back on the wheels and pedal into town (Silver Lake).  Nick and I thought about putting extra miles in that evening because of the big days looming ahead.  We packed up, bid the crew farewell and then pedaled on a full stomach to Fort Rock.




















No comments:

Post a Comment