Thursday, July 29, 2010

Short Cuts, Doggy Acne & Moose'n Around

It has been an easy week training wise this week.  I have yet to make it over the top tube of any bike yet this week...that will probably change today as it will be good to get out and do a quickie easy spin...race day is Saturday so I hope the legs start to feel friskier than they currently do.  At the moment they feel a wee bit on the heavy side...2 more days to work the heaviness out.

The dogs have benefited from the light week on the bike because we have taken them on longer walks than usual.  As we were walking on Tuesday night, I noticed that Moby was getting tired.  Being the smart pup that he is, he made some adjustments.  We decided to go to our usual trail since it would be dry and mosquito free - the flip side is that it also meant it would  be hotter.  Moby knows the trails well and he made me chuckle when he watched Otis and I continue to walk the switchbacks and he very non-chalantly would take the short cut by cutting the switchbacks off completely and just heading downhill on another trail that weaves through the main trail that we were on.  Normally, I don't marvel and gush about how smart he is, but what was interesting was that he actually anticipated us this time.  He started down the alternate route/short cut as soon as we started heading down the long way.

Speaking of pups...yesterday I noticed that Otis had some bumps on his chin.  Erin googled what the bumps might be and it turns out our pup is going through puberty and them there bumps are pimples!  I had no idea dogs got acne...This  falls under the annals of I learn something new every day!

Even though I have been a slacker on the bike this week, Erin has not. She got out on Toll Canyon on Tues night and had a moose sighting!  If you enlarge the pic, you can see the moose up on the bank.  On a side note, Erin has been a little hard on her bike this year.  She is on her 3rd rear derailleur and hanger...I was not exactly amused when she told me that she fell on a couple of switchbacks and that her gears were 'skipping'.  It might just be cable stretch as the derailleur & cable are brand new but her history so far this year makes me fear for the worst and think that she might have bent her derailleur again...need to take a looksie and see what gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment