Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blur v 1.0 Buh Bye

Unfortunately my Santa Cruz Blur has reached the end of the line.  It survived 10 years of abuse and I reluctantly parted everything off the bike this weekend.  I purchased the frame the first year the Blur XC came out and at the time it was about as high tech as you could get.  The frame technology would be the one that would eventually start to be copied and emulated.  The big step forward at the time was the advent of a rear shock that would minimize bob as you climbed (and subsequently lose pedal power).  All in all I have to say that the Blur served me very very well.  I like the geometry, the stiffness& the all-around versatility.

It is down to the bare frame and a pile of parts.
It is amazing to think that once a bike is parted it out, it really does not seem to be all that much in terms of parts....a few drive train parts, brakes, bars, seat post, shock/fork, and wheels (not pictured) and boom...that be it.  What is a little crazy is that small list of parts will set you back some coin!  I am hoping to re-use these parts where possible on our other bikes but it is still a weird thing to one day be looking at a bike at the next be looking at a pile of parts....parts is parts:

RIP my orange blaze of aluminum....and thanks for the memories my friend!  You definitely enabled me to see a lot and experience a lot...Through you I got see parts of Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, California, Washington, Nevada, etc that I might not ordinarily see... you stuck with me through my whining during the 24 hrs of Steamboat, the 24 hours of E Rock, Leadville, Silver Rush, Laramie Enduro, Cohutta, etc....you were happy to take abuse on dirt, pavement, gravel, mud, snow, water, poop....through hot and stupidly cold....and all this without a complaint.  Yes you were another mouth to feed but my ohh my it was worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment