Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Angola in da' house

For those of you that know me, you know my heritage is Portugee....for those of you that really know me, you know that I was born in Angola.  Angola's recent history has included a long civil war with repercussions and consequences that are still being heavily felt to date.  The infrastructure was torn apart in the civil war and much of the country's natural resources were sold (and future rights) in order to fund the long lasting civil war.

The aftermath has left the country in shambles struggling with a landscape dotted by many many a land mine.  At one point Angola had the most land mines per square mile in the world.  The African story of poverty, disease, HIV has not spared Angola either.

Having been born in Angola, my ears are always piqued when I hear the country come up in an article, TV, conversation, etc...so it was with utter dismay when I read that Miss Angola had just been named Miss Universe!  Say what?  yup, an African sista' from my birth country is now Miss Universe, or Planet, or Galaxy, or whatever it is that 'The Donald' is calling it these days.

Hopefully this opens up a new chapter in Angola's history and the whole country will be able to gain some positive momentum and visibility to the rest of the world.  Hats off to Miss Angola...and lots of well wishes that this is a small step (hopefully the first of many) in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment