Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bozo-zone Bike Shop

After riding the Bangtail Divide trail on Saturday, I swung into a bike shop to get some beta on additional recommended rides in the area.  My policy is to usually go into a store ask for some beta and in exchange buy something in order to fulfill what I perceive to be my end of the obligation...

the exchange went something like this....

Me, "Hey guys, what is up?  I just got done riding Bangtail and was wondering if you could point me the direction of any additional sweet and recommended rides?"

Bike Shop, "So what ride did you just do?"

Me, "Bangtail Divide as a loop."

Bike Shop, "That is a nice ride."

Me, "Yeah, great ride and was hoping you could point other great rides."

Bike Shop, "Do you have the map?"

Me, "Yes and I was hoping you could point out other must-do's in the area" - at this point I realized that this conversation was going no-where....

Bike Shop, "They are ALL must do's - they are all awesome trails." - this seem to confirm my thought above....

Me, "So I there any trails you would recommend NOT doing" - thinking if I switched the line of questioning up I might get a little further....

Bike Shop (imagine Beavis & Butthead laugh at this point), "uhhh, yeah, the ones that don't have smoke and aren't on fire - huu haaa haa haa haa".

At this point I knew it was a lost cause and they had been about as helpful as someone pouring gasoline one of their aforementioned smokey firey trails so I proceeded to look around a while longer and left the store without spending a dime and with about as much insight on what to ride next.

I have compared Bozeman to the Republic of Boulder before and these funny little episodes just seem to confirm the validity of the comparisons.  It might have been a one off on the specific bike shop - fortunately the MTBR forum has a wealth of information regarding trail beta so there is definitely more than one way to skin a Bozone kitty cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment