Friday, August 24, 2012

A Roadie 1st

Some little bug got a hold of me last week and between some travel for a friend's wedding and the little critter running me over, time on the bike was next to nada.  I managed to get on a quickie ride on Tues and intended to get out on the road bike on Wednesday for a light spin to see where the body and legs are.

As I started to climb out of our little hood, I heard and felt the chain skip a couple of times and then whammo, it felt like my chain came off.  I got off the bike and looked at my bike to investigate what was going on.  To my surprise I found the rear derailleur in my spoke inside my rear triangle!!!

The rear derailleur hanger somehow broke as I started to apply some power to the pedals.  I have broken rear derailleurs on mountain bikes before but never a roadie rear D!  What's up with dat???

Fortunately, I was relatively close to home and I could coast back until the last 1/4 mile where I had to get off the bike and do the clickity clackity walk of trying to walk in road shoes....and up a steep driveway to boot....

With a little luck, it will only be the hanger and chain that need to be replaced...hopefully the rear D and the spokes did not encounter too much collateral action -

the damage:


No comments:

Post a Comment