Friday, October 5, 2012

CX Thrilla' Race #4

The Thrilla' cross series wrapped up the 4th and final week of racing last night and as per the usual fun and games, it did not disappoint.  The course changed a little bit in a couple of spots but was mostly the same.  The minor changes made for a couple of soft turns where you had to pick a good line and keep moving.

The temps had cooled off since the last race a week ago but the dust conditions were still mighty!  As the race kicked off, so did the dust cloud during the first lap.  Our group was the second group to start (staggered by about 30 seconds) so we got to inhale the moondust cloud that the first group kicked up.  Once we got through the first lap, things started to thin out and people got spread out enough so that the dust cloud lightened.

This was my 4th race doing cyclocross so there is still a learning curve from the riding and racing perspective.  I have never been much of a racer other than signing up for enduro events which are more about survival than 'racing'.  That being said there are always moments of elevated heart rate during those, but not nearly like going full anaerobic right out of the gates like cross!

After the first lap, I tried to push hard and tried to keep the end in sight by riding somewhat conservatively to avoid any mishaps.  As usual, my heart rate was in the red for most of the ride and my lungs were grasping for air once I crossed the finish line.  Heart rate chart  below - the race started at around the 30 min market where the HR jacks up to the 160's.  


Once I finished I was coasting through the paved area and noticed that the missus was sitting in the grass on the side of the road.  Her face was lit up like a red tomato from all the hard work (she too signed up for the funnegigans).  She informed me that she flatted on her 2nd lap and had to bail!  She was leading her category until that point so she was understandably bummed.

We stuck around and watched the big boys/gals race afterwords and it was fun to see how the folk with technique cruise through barriers and make it seem effortless.

All in all, it was a great experience.  I was able to win the last 3 races in the series in the 40+ beginner category so it probably means stepping up to the B's in order get spanked by them.  Webcyclery handed out Thrilla' hats to the overall series winners and I proudly wore my hat for 4 weeks of hoovering up moondust...shhh, just don't tell anyone I stole it off a jr. rider....just kidding...maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment