Thursday, October 25, 2012

Phattie evolves

As we are going through the process of replacing stolen bikes, the wifer's phattie was one of the bikes that needed to be replaced.  She decided she really liked my  9zero7 build and so she convinced me into giving her the 9zero7 and urged me to go look at phattie replacements for me.

Since her Salsa Mukluk was stolen, I figured it would be good to try out a different bike and get a taste of what else is out there for options.

Last year's season of Phat proved to be a lean one for consumers in so much as inventory was difficult to come by.  The burgeoning phat scene is taking off and as a result the simple rules of supply and demand seemed to be bottlenecked on the supply side.

This year, there are many more options and technology is changing as quickly as it has in the world of phat.  The big change across the board seems to be dropouts on the rear to accommodate singlespeed with sliders or even internally geared hubs.  These seem to be standard options now for many of the bikes.

I decided IGH and SS were not must have options for me on a snow bike and opted to go for inventory on hand that FatBack had pre-built.  I went over to the warehouse in Bend and checked out the build that have upgraded rims and carbon fork.  It was a departure from building it up but in a way it was good to be able to roll in, check things out, and roll out with a bike....speaking of Roll Out....


back to phatties....I decided to go with the raw Fatback option:






3 comments:

  1. Nice! Those mounts look like phun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty well, although my cranium is about to explode. This is finals week, and I'm amazed at the volume of information we are expected to process. On the bright side, I have two weeks of freedom coming up!!!

    ReplyDelete