Monday, January 14, 2013

Dutchman Sno Park Fat Biking

The morning chill still hovered in the air as I made my way up to Dutchman for the fatbike ride.  It was in the low single digits for temps and it was bound to be a wee bit chilly until the body warmed up and started to create its own heat.

The Dutchman Sno Park parking lot was full so the default overflow lot became the main lot at Mt Bachelor.  I parked and started the journey from the parking lot over to gain access to the Dutchman system.  The plan was to follow my backcountry excursion from the week prior but then explore beyond.

As I drove up to the Sno Park area I kept thinking of how cold it was and how the conditions were going to be just about perfect for snowbiking.  As it turns out, the conditions were decent but the snow was a little soft because there was not a ton of moisture in the recent snowfalls and it did not compact well.  The lack of warm up had also prevented it from freezing over and packing down well.

I tried to stay on the groomers as best I could since it was more packed than the high trafficked areas.  I made my way through a couple of junctions to the base of Moon mountain and followed the groomers until the snow became too soft and the bike too squirrely....By this time I had been riding for a little over an hour and decided to head back to the car.

It was a great day to be out and continue to try to get a lay of the land.  There were a couple of steep and shortie hills that got the heart cranked up.  The views were great and the riding about a 6.5 out of 10 in terms of conditions.

Some pictures from the day:
from left to right....South Sister, Broken Top, Moon Mtn in the foreground

 BrokenTop
 Mt Bachelor in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment