Monday, March 25, 2013

Late Week Snow

The upper elevations had received a lot of snow over the tail end of the week last week and I decided it prudent to stay off of Tumalo for the day since there was probably too much snow to maintain speed along the way back down again...the 3 week Friday Tumalo streak was snapped but the upside was the resort received a lot of snow in prep for the weekend.

I took my bindings off my 10+ yr old board and put them onto my Rome Anthem I got last season.  I had ridden that setup with my backcountry boots the week prior and was curious to see how different the board felt with 'resort' boots that were a little lighter and a lot less stiff.

long story short...I got some new boots on Friday to finish the setup.  Everything is on end of season sales right now so the prices are sweet!  I ended up going with the Burton Ruler boots.

It took all of about 1/2 a run to figure out that it was going to take a little while to break the boots/moldings in.  About 1/2 way down the first run the arch pain was unbearable and I had to stop and make some adjustments...I loosened the bindings and hoped that the pain my arches would subside but alas, no joy...this went on for about 2 hours when it started to get a little better as I loosened the bindings even more and tried to find the sweet spot.

After about 3 1/2 hrs of agony, we called it...it was time to hit the lodge and relax while letting the arches recover.  The feet continued to bark so we ended up only doing a 1/2 day which was probably just as well as we were able to find some good deep snow that was not totally tracked out in the trees.  We more or less stayed on the right side of the mountain as we searched for the goods.

Some pix of the day:

looking towards S Sister....

 S Sister with Broken Top on the right...

No comments:

Post a Comment