Friday, May 20, 2011

Fat Tire - Thompson Park

Thursday's weather started out like a really nice spring-like day and then as it got closer to quitting time, the clouds rolled in and started to threaten with some big and dark looking fluff!  I decided to take my chances and head out to Thompson Park and see what the trail conditions were like.  I am glad I did!  It was a great day to be out with good temps and very good trail conditions.

All in all the trails were in great shape - there were only a couple of spots that still had snow and those were very brief and still rideable considering their size /depth.  It ended up being a 16 mile ride that took a little over 2 hours and included a lot of vertical gain (2,600 ft).  I ventured up and pretty much did all the loops on Thompson (with one exception) and then crossed over to the other side of the road and climbed up the Archery range and caught Blacktail back out.



I was on the old singlespeed and noticed my legs need to get used to trail again and used to pushing big gears and mashing...grind grind grind!  The good news is that it gives me hope that the mid elevation trails will be rideable in a couple more weeks (weather dependent), while the upper / north facing trails are still a ways out... There were quite a few down trees but it was a good day for the head and the beat-down on the legs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment