Saturday, June 4, 2011

Roadie: Fairmont->Pintlers->Fairmont

What a banner day weather wise.  We had clear blue skies with warms temps that felt downright HoTT considering our recent temps.  I took the skinny tire out and needed to get a good long ride in today.  I parked right off the 211 Exit on I-15 and then got on the skinny, rode to Fairmont, hooked up to Hwy 1 until 274 and then took 274 S through Mt Haggin along the East side of the Pintler range.

It was a 63 mile ride with one big hill on the way to Mt Haggin - total of around 2,300 ft of climbing and about 3 1/2 hrs of ride time.


The legs felt pretty good until I decided to stop taking in nutrition and I paid for it starting at about hour 3.  All I had was some Heed during the 1st hour and then a baggie of the Honey Stingers - so naturally I had to fight the bonk for the last 30 minutes into a headwind...and yes, I am a repeat offender bonker...or a ROB'.  Part of that is by design thinking that if I train the body to deal with a lack of nutrition, it will better prep me for epics when this inevitably happens a few times....the big thing is trying to stay hydrated and that was a bit of an issue today too...I took in 2 bottles during a 3 1/2 hour ride on hot day and I have a high sweat rate ....there is only so much H2O you can take with you on rides though (and this ride does not offer much in terms of stopping at a gas station/store, etc...pretty remote)

The scenery was spectacular and you had to be careful not to be too focused on the mountains you were riding through or the consequences could be a seriously taco'd wheel from some of the giant potholes that spot the road.  The ride is super scenic, but the road is as scenic as it is rough...
Pintlers were in full effect:
Had to keep an eye out for the Taco Hay Makers:
It was a small price to pay for the killer views:
and the awesome and fast descent (got to head all the way back down - about 1,500 ft)
time to enjoy a brew, run a compex recovery sesh, and hope the legs are up for round 2 tomorrow...meanwhile, the wifer is up in Oliver, Canada getting ready for her 1/2 IronMan Tri tomorrow a.m....hope she is getting some good solid rest for her big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment