Friday, October 28, 2011

MTB Night Ride

Inspired by the arrival of the replacement batteries for the MagicShine, I figured that the least I owed them was a spinaroo to make sure all was in working order.

We received a dusting of snow the other day but that was mostly gone in the lower foothills so I decided to head up to Blacktail and link to the Archery range, over to Thompson for the upper and lower loops, then the steep grind back up Archery and back to the car.

The lights worked smashingly (got me a little brit influence today).  There were no issues with the batteries and it was good to be out chasing the light fantastic (somehow, you can never catch it!).  It was a wee bit chilly though - as per the Garmin, it was an avg of 28 with a low of 23 during my ride.  The other cool thing I noticed about the Garmin is that it goes into reverse mode on the display when it gets dark - so the text is lighter while the background is dark...pretty sweet...

Given the normal volume of critters in the woods, I fully anticipated scaring something along the way but apparently all the animals must have been elsewhere or confused about something cruising through the woods with beams coming out of its head....

by the time I got back to the car, my feet were numb....apparently I misjudged just how cold it was and it might be time to bust out the booties / goretex socks....and some warmer gloves probably would not hurt either.  I had the forehead ice-cream headache going to - the downhills were the cold part...going up hill keeps a guy warm.  The trails conditions were smashing too!  nice and tacky!!

details of the ride:

No comments:

Post a Comment