Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Phatty Specs

I have spent the last few weeks stalking the MTBR Fat Bikes forum and boning up on specs and the different options in the land of the Phat!

I decided to spec the build out with a frame that will allow for a 170mm rear hub and 135 mm front hub.  This will make for symmetrical wheels in the front and back (as opposed to the offset wheels that are on the slimmer 135mm rear hubs).  I figured it will be easier to work on a centered and symmetrical wheel as opposed to trying to work on a wheel that has the spokes off center on the rim with a dish to boot.  Not to mention the weirdness of looking at an offset wheel.

The downside is fewer options for the rear hubs but with each choice there are pros and cons.  As someone state...you can't really go wrong with either because either way you will be riding PHAT!

I ended up going with the 9:zero:7 frame in a kermit the frog green with envy choice (my own naming convention as I don't think the frame manufacturer cares less about stooopid names).  I am guessing it will probably take a couple of weeks to ship but little kermit will be ready to be built up a la Phattie.

Next on the agenda...wheel choice....I decided on a rear set up of a Fat Reba rim (80mm wide) with the 180mm Salsa hub and then switched it up just a tad on the front and went with the Surly Rolling Darryl rim on a Surly 135mm hub.  The rims should look pretty much the same (black and both are 80 mm) so aesthetically it should not be noticeable at all.  Why the phattie switcharoo?  100% supply and demand...I found killer deals for each wheel and so it made more sense to by each separately.  I had even toyed with the idea of buying the hubs and rim and lcaing it up myself but then quickly figured out the nominal difference in price was not worth the hassle of trying to lace up a wheelset.

Next up will be getting a bottom bracket and crankset...this will be the last item required for purchase for the build - since the phatties rock a wider bottom bracket (excuse the pun),my bottom bracket from my old bike will not fit.   Everything else should be usable from the old bike so that will be sweet.

It is now time to 'wait patiently' until the goodies arrive...It is becoming a little more addicting mostly because the weather has officially turned cold - single digits on the thermo this a.m.

pictures forthcoming at some point in the future when the parts arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment