Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wed Eve Spring Ride

After sitting in the car for much of Tuesday, it was time to stretch the legs and see what kind of abuse they could take on Wednesday evening.  It is time to start putting mileage on the singlespeed so it was dusted off and we headed out to the trails around Butte.

I was curious to see how the legs felt because they have not felt particularly good over the past couple of weeks and I was starting to get concerned about where they are in terms on fitness and riding.  We are about 2 months out from the High Cascades and now is not the time to feel like they are totally out of shape!  The last couple of local rides around Butte had me thinking that there is still a lot of work to do.  I have not been able to get out on the bike as much as I would like but sometimes that can be a blessing as the head can come back fresher.

The ride was around 2 3/4 hrs through some hilly terrain to work the legs.  Surprisingly the legs felt pretty good all things considered.  It was partially due to the perfect temps and no major dehydration.  I have learned my body does not like heat and my sweat rate means I have to pay particular attention on long rides of over 4 hrs to make sure I take in enough liquids.  There are some key variables to manage on these longer rides and hydration is a huge component.  Wednesday's ride did not throw that hydration variable at me thanks to the perfect riding temps.

I even ran into the wifer on one of the loops around Thompson Park and then later ran into a moose between the Beaver Ponds and Blacktail.  I tried getting a pic but the pix ended up being all sorts of blurry so no go.  All in all it was a vey gratifying ride on the single....

Ride info:

No comments:

Post a Comment