Monday, April 15, 2013

MTB Storm King Tack!

Saturday's fun included a ride from home to the Phil's trail system where it was time to explore and see how high the trails were riding before encountering snow.

I spent Friday evening prepping for Saturday's ride by trying to get my nutrition ready so there would be little to think about in the morning.  The recent local weather pattern was more stable (albeit colder) in the a.m. with more disturbance in the afternoon.  I figured the best plan of attack was to bundle up and get out early a.m. in order to avoid later in the day weather as well as the added bonus of fewer peeps on the trails.

As I started to get my nutrition together, the lonely bottle of ginger beer kept looking at me longingly so I obliged and made myself a few Moscow Mules to wrap up the week.  The big question was whether the goodies in the right of the photo would impact the goodies on the left the following day...after battling the good and evil influences on my shoulders, we compromised on a little imbibing to be followed by a fair amount of riding!

After a good night's rest, it was time to wake up and rally for the cold temps.....once layered it was time to hit the road and start spinning!  Yeehaa, it feels good to be back in ride mode!

The plan was to ride up to Helipad and catch Storm King to COD and back down to Phil's proper.  I am going to start calling this route the lower Phil's big loop since it goes up one side of the trail network on the Skyliner side and then traverses over to the east side on Century and catches the eastern most trail back into the Phil parking lot.

One of my favorite trails in the Phil's network might be Storm King...the Storm King elves have been busy as of late as the trail conditions were perfect!!! The elves must have put in a long evening of sweeping the trails so they were buttery smooth...not only that, but perfect tacky....

at the SK junction -
 enjoying Storm King.....

 can you tell where the  trail is?  Those trail elves did a nice job of sweeping it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment