Friday, June 14, 2013

MTB Mystery Noise

There is nothing more annoying that a mystery noise on your bike that you can't locate....it is enough to make you wonder if you are hearing things or whether your bike is about to fall apart.

Most of the time it is the process of elimination where you tend to find and resolve the creak, etc...I have had noises that sounded like they were coming from the frame, but were really coming from the drivetrain.  A hub that was overtightened by a wheel builder, or a creaky frame noise that originated from the seatpost, or a grinding noise from the drivetrain that was due to worn teeth on a rear cog.  There are always a myriad of offending possibilities and the problem is you never really have an 'aha' moment until after the fact and whatever you did made the noise go away.

My recent 'mystery noise' was coming from my front wheel/tire.  It sounded like tire rub.  I looked at the wheel multiple times and saw that there was plenty of clearance where no tire rub was occurring...but as that wheel went round and round, it kept purring with a tire rub sound.  The brake rotors were fine...no noise from there...was it the hub?  I took the wheel off the bike and spun it around...there it was again...purr purrrrrr purrrrr....what in the heck???  I spun the wheel again and put my ear next to the hub...nada...but I could still hear that damn purring of the tire rub sound!

It then dawned on me....that elusive little noise was actually in my tire.  It is a ball of silicon that dried up from the Stans!!!!!!  ahhhhhh, mystery solved....noise not solved until I replace the tire and clean everything up (no need since the tire is holding air and is beaded up tubeless).

ahhh - dang silcon stans balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment