Thursday, June 13, 2013

Singlespeed Vs Gears...a crude comparison

The big debate has played itself out in my mind a lot when I am on the bike riding....just how much slower is a singlespeed than a geared bike?

This obviously depends largely on terrain (just how hilly or flat) but I did some crude calculations and guesstimated that there is roughly a 15-20% handicap on a singlespeed.

When looking at the winning times of 100 milers, the winning singlespeed time is typically about 15-20% slower than the winning geared time.

I decided to do my own rough test this week and rode the same trail on my geared bike one day and then the same trail on my singlespeed the next.  I tried to maintain similar 'exertion' levels in order to be as much 'like for like' as possible.

The results were similar...right around a 20% time handicap on the SS.   None the less, regardless of what bike I am on, it is about the fun factor.  As long the trails are putting smiles on the face, it is all good!



No comments:

Post a Comment