Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 - The Year Ahead

2012 will be a year of change for us.  It will be a busy year with lots going on and extra effort will have to be put in to chase the fun factor.

My first potential bike event for the year will be phattie related.  This will be a first for me as the phattie bike is still relatively new to me and the fat bike event scene is very foreign to me.  I have signed up for the Togwotee and am looking forward to trying something new and trying to get through either 25 or 35 miles of riding the phattie in the snow.  I have come to realize that the snow conditions will play a HUGE role in just how difficult that day will be.

Unlike dirt, snow changes conditions throughout the day depending on temperature and use...new deep snow means lots of hiking for the phattie bikes.  Similarly, warm conditions that cause the snow to become soft is also brutal to ride (hike a bike) in.  Packed down snow in cold temps seems to be to optimal for riding the phattie.  Here is to hoping that mother nature will be kind to us during the Togwotee.

Other possible events for me might include the True Grit in March, the High Cascades hundie, TransRockies, and maybe even the Dakota 50.  This will in large part depend on how our schedules determine availability for the events but I need to get something on the radar soon so that my mind can wrap itself around the training piece.

The other idea I am toying with is the bikepacking idea.  Doing a multi-day trip through the Big Hole area on the CDT and the Maah Daah Hey are sloshing around in my head too....I almost would not mind trying to do the Maah Daah Hey trail in a day if I can figure out the support angle and just what that might entail in terms of sag/water availability, logistics, etc...all food for thought.

With the New Year comes lots of possibilities - now, to make some of those happen....

No comments:

Post a Comment