Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Skinny It Up

The skinny anorexic tire that is the road bike has been neglected over the past year mostly due to the inherent danger that is riding your road bike in Montana...danger danger...people don't generally take kindly to fellas in lycra as they ride their bikes.  After having a couple of projectiles (full beer can & full water bottle) thrown at me while at speed I decided the safest course of action was to stay fat and ride the mountain bike.

I am in Denver for a few days and brought along the skinny tire to ride some familiar territory.  I forgot how fun a road bike can be (am guessing it might have a little something to do with not having to worry and fear for your safety quite as much).  The weather held up and provided a couple of optimal riding days during the weekend.

The skinny had been relatively lonely in the quiver and towards the end of the second ride it reminded me just why it is not a good idea to neglect your bike...with about another mile left on the ride, I got up off the saddle to pedal and did some air pedal action.  My chain snapped like a dry twiggie in the desert.  As soon as it happened I knew the whole drivetrain would need to be replaced considering the chain had several thousand miles on it and the chain rings and cassette would be badly worn.

Apparently skinny's feelings were hurt that it had been neglected and it just needed to remind that it too needs some love.  Apologies to the skinny...here is to trying to incorporate the skinny into the schedule...

No comments:

Post a Comment