Thursday, January 5, 2012

High Cascades Hundie

Just after I clicked 'submit' I had one of those shake your head moments of 'I done did what?'  In order to get something on the schedule this year, I signed up for the High Cascades 100 in the single speed category.

There is a certain sense of urgency to sign up for these endurance events because some of them sell out rather quickly.  Events like the Laramie and Point to Point sell out in minutes once they open up for registration.  The High Cascades does not sell out in minutes buttttttt it does sell out so once registration opened up on 12/31, it was time to get the planning in gear.

One of the reasons I wanted to sign up for the HC100 is because I have heard awesome feedback about the race from folks who have done it.  They say the event is top notch being very well organized and great riding.  It will also take me back to Oregon where I grew up (further south) - so it will be a homecoming of sorts.

The race profile does not look as abusive as the Cascade Cream Puff with significantly less climbing than the Puff so I hope to suffer less on the HC100 than I did that day at the Puff.  The day at the Puff will go down as the most I have ever suffered on a bike for a combination of reasons.  It was a brutally hot and humid day which led to dehydration for me.  There was a lot of climbing....I was dealing with a gout flare....ok ok, enough excuses - it was just a long day in the saddle and it will be good to try to atone for damage it did to my ego!

I am thinking that the combination of being on the new singlespeed and less climbing should prove to be a better mix.  Regardless, it will STILL be a long day in the saddle with a lot of suffering.  That fear of suffering is what will drive the training - there is nothing like fear as the great motivator.

No comments:

Post a Comment