Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Humpty Dumpty Derailleur Hanger

Humpty Dumpty took a big fall and the first casualty of the phattie gordita bike is the rear derailleur hanger.  My first reaction was to get on-line and order a couple more hangers so that we can get humpty dumpty back together again.  I quickly ordered a couple of hangers thinking it is always good to have an extra especially on uncommon bikes where the only place you can order them is via the manufacturer.

That is what I get for taking gordita out on the dirt....the first chink in the phattie armor and I wear it with pride!  It has officially been broken in!  I would think this would be a pretty uncommon occurrence when riding in the snow but it does give me a little reason for caution regarding the hanger going forward (hence the extra - and well it is just a good idea to have an extra 'very hard to find part' in the event the hanger is victimized by my poor riding again).

What I found interesting was as I removed the hanger, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the hanger in place was unthreading a little wobbly...There was a moment of panic where the thought crossed my mind that perhaps the threads were somehow screwed up.  After removing that bolt and threading the other one it quickly became apparent that it was the bolt that was toast...PHEW!

pix of the carnage:



No comments:

Post a Comment