Monday, June 7, 2010

Dogs Toys That Go Ouch In The Night


I woke up this a.m. at about 3:00 with the urge to empty the bladder. En route I stepped on a plastic dog chew toy that has seen better days. It is chewed to the point where it now has sharp edges. It was enough of a startle that it made me go from 1/2 groggy to fully awake in a split second. Unfortunately it woke me up enough so that I could not get back to sleep. The irony is that I should have known better as that seems to be Otis' favorite place to deposit his nylon bone - right smack dab in the middle of the hall.


The wifer woke up early to get a quick spin in before her work day started. The coinkey-dink of coinkey-dinks was that I heard her yelp as she stepped on the very same bone that I did a couple of hours earlier...DOH.


Her 1/2 Iron Man is this upcoming weekend and she is tapering this week in prep for her suffer-fest.


As I lay awake at 4:00 trying to get back to sleep I sat there agonizing over the issue of under training vs over-training...The problem with signing up for these long endurance events is that you convince yourself you are never prepared well enough. The problem with that is that is pushes you into the fear of failure and in my case has motivated me to over-train in the past. This was evidently clear during 2008 when the fear of Leadville motivated me over the fine line (of course hindsight is 20/20). With the Cream Puff a month away, I can't help but feel under-trained...then again back to the above pontification of never being prepared enough...guess I should just leave well enough alone and be prepared for a 13-15 hr day in the saddle for the Puff....and I paid money to do this??


No comments:

Post a Comment