Friday, June 4, 2010

In over our heads and super-sizing

Last year we were able to put a tic next to one of our goals of buying a real piece of Americana!!! We found a 1971 Airstream Globetrotter that was in good structural shape, but was/is in dire need of some serious updating.

The GT (Globetrotter) sat in our garage over the winter (yes, in true Montana style, our garage might just be bigger than our house). I have teased our friend Nate for being 'Super-Size' on anything from trucks, tents, dogs, clip sticks, etc...Having moved to Montana (where Nate is from), I have come to appreciate and actively participate in this super-sizing ethos...but alas, I digress back to the tin can. With all this liquid sunshine, I got antsy....I went into the super size garage and walked into the GT and started to hear little voices telling me 'Gut Gut Gut'.

I figured I would just remove some of the cabinets with the intention of replacing the floor and doing some re-painting & re-upholstering (and no that is not velvet on that gaucho/sofa) in order to bring the decor into this century....as I started to pull the cabinets apart I decided why go 1/2 arse when you can go full monty - although airstreamers will be quick to point out that I am by no means doing the full monty on our little lady (full monty is known as gutting everything and removing the shell off the frame and essentially starting at ground zero).


Notice the really swanky carpet...not so sure that was even in style back when shag carpet was rocking floors everywhere!

All good things must come to an end, and in this case poor tasted things should have an even shorter shelf life....

The gutting began and continued for a few days (trying to be careful not to pull the vinyl walls off so we could salvage the bones of our beloved tin can.

Once everything was pulled apart, the cleaning, priming, painting began...or the clarification should be that was when the analysis paralysis began...ohh what should the color choice be? Can vinyl be painted, should it be painted, etc etc....

I slaved away and inhaled the pungent odors of oil based paints while losing a few brain cells in the process (to the point where I kept forgetting where we made plans to eat later in the day), the dogs were checking their eyelids for leaks and making sure that the couch did not get up and run away!

I fear we are still in the initial stages of all this, but we have painted the inside now (more pics to come) and Erin's mom has been nice enough to offer to help sewing the new curtains...

The GT should pretty much be ready to go just in time for the winter where it will once again be relegated to our super-size garage! At this rate we might be able to use it next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment