Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tendo'know'sis...Tendo'notknow'sis

Monday proved to be a rough day and sometimes it is good to just get through the day and look forward to a better follow up day.

The lone good news of the day was that the new Compex estim unit (Compex Sport) arrived and was promptly put to good use later in the evening.  The initial observations are that the unit has similar functions to the Globus unit that we sent back.  Once you start to peel back the layers, you notice that there is more functionality though.  The Compex has more functions and programs than the comparable pricepoint for Globus.  Once I get a chance to use it a little more, I will do a more in depth review with more details but so far it is a thumbs up.

I have been spending a little time on the indoor trainer and have been just trying to keep a higher cadence with constant pressure on the pedals for an hour.  I am trying not to push too many watts right now with the intent of trying to give the knee a little bit of a break.  Last night I stacked workouts and sat on the indoor trainer for an hour spinning away and then followed that up a little later with an e-stim program.  The legs feel a little tired today so it will be a good rest/recovery day - although a quick lifting (upper body) workout is in the works at some point during the day.

After having a semi grumpy knee for a while and not seeing a lot of progress healing-wise, I decided to do a little digging and see what I could do to help speed that along.  My theory is that my legs might be tight and that stretching out the IT bands with foam rollers and stretches should help to bring everything back into alignment.  Once the IT bands tighten, they throw the knees a little out of alignment and my theory is this out of alignment position might be what is causing some tendonosis.  I have been working with the foam roller the past three days trying to loosen things up as well as trying to stretch.  If all else fails and all these new variables fail, it might be time to see a pro.  Regardless, it will be good to try to get this sorted out before putting real mileage on the legs this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment