Thursday, April 21, 2011

BC BIke Race

Giddyup!  I signed up for the BC Bike Race this summer which should be a really fun event.  I have heard amazing reports about the local riding in the area and equally positive reviews about the race.  The race starts in Vancouver and works its way north to Squamish and then to Whistler.
BC Bike Race 2011 Race Map

It is a multi-day stage race (or event) that starts on July 2nd and runs through July 9th.  It looks like most days are somewhere around 50 km with a fair amount of climbing each day.  The big question is whether to singlespeed the race or go full squish.  My first reaction is to singlespeed but the trails are so fun and the descents include big time fun that could be had on a full suspension bike.  Taking the singlespeed would mean riding fully rigid for 7 days and I just don't know whether that it would take some of the fun factor out of it.  It is time to do more research and see  just how technical the trails are going to be.

I was having a difficult time trying to find events that I had not done before, or that I could still get into (everything seems to be selling out fast these days), or that just jumped out at me.  The BC Bike race had been on my radar for the last 3 years but it one of the requirements was doing it as a team.  This past year, they opened up the race to solo's so that you no longer required a team member.  Finding a team member was proving difficult due to a combination of timing, location, cost, etc so the solo option is really a perfect fit.

time to get psyched, time to research gear ratios for the event, time to train....

No comments:

Post a Comment