Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fishy Toll Beaver

Yesterday ended up being a good & productive day.  I managed to get a fair amount done work-wise while also taking advantage of the lunch hour to mow the lawn, pull some weeds and then even cut it close on the daylight hours after work to get a ride in. 

The choice of trail for Monday's fatty tire ride was a collage of trails and link-ups around the Toll Canyon and Beaver Ponds area.  I parked at the Beaver Ponds parking lot and then rode the road up to the pass to catch the Toll Canyon section of the CDT.  I took Toll up to Lime Kiln Road, and then ascended to the top of the road and caught the Fish Creek spur which eventually links back up into Toll Canyon. 

As I pedaled up Toll, I could see mother nature brewing up a storm...I could see dark clouds and rain falling about 3-5 miles south of me in the Highlands.  At this point it was a crap-shoot as to whether or not the storm was going to envelope me or somehow skirt around me.  Somehow (not sure how), mother nature took it easy on me and spared me any significant rain-fall.

At the bottom of the Fish Creek trail, I linked back into Toll Canyon and climbed back out of the gulch and rode Toll Canyon CDT back to the road where I would barely have enough time to take the Beaver Pond trail back to the car.  I noticed that there were a couple of spots on the Toll Canyon trail that were fairly wet so somehow the rain missed me!  By the end of the ride when I got to the car, it was dark...it was a race against time and fortunately there were just enough daylight minutes to make it back.  It was one of those days where it felt like I was able to use up every available minute of good weather and daylight...mmmm.mmmmm.goooooood

I pushed a little harder on the bike as I was curious to see how the knee would hold up.  This was the 3rd relatively hard day on and it was definitely barking at me a few times.  17 miles and over 3,000 ft of elevation gain probably has something to do with the knee talking back to me...I got home and could tell that it was a little sore...popped some Vitamin I in order to try and be proactive.
I took the Go Pro HD viddy cam with me and hope to get something together today....I tried a few different camera angles...tried the Helmet cam, the Seat Post cam, the Fork Mount Cam...I think I like the Seat Post and Fork Mount best, although the seat mount was quickly obscured by a drop of mud that hit it square in the middle of the camera (no damage to the camera at all but talk about perfect aim!)

No comments:

Post a Comment