Friday, September 3, 2010

Tendinitis Theory & Lonely Bikes

So I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how I might have brought on this whole knee pain...the obvious reaction thoughts are along the lines of:
  • Well DUH, you singlespeed don't you?
  • ummm, you just hit the big 4-OHHH...things don't work as well as they used to..
  • Trauma to the area
  • Change in seat position/height, etc...
It essentially boils down to 1 of 4 options....Option #1, Overuse...Option #2 Sudden Impact...Option #3: Perfect Storm...Option #4: Spousal retribution

Option 1:  Common sense would point to overuse but the intense pain and the nature of just how tender the patella tendon was just did not add up for me (note that common sense does not always prevail in my mind so it might all be a moot point).

Option 2:  Sudden impact theory...I don't remember hitting anything and if I did, it would probably have started to hurt immediately

Option 3:  Perfect Storm (most likely)...It did occur to me that I rode 50 miles on a singlespeed and then followed it up with 3 days of riding and lots of climbing...This by itself might have caused some tenderness but not to the point where it would not bear weight, etc...While on vacation, I remember packing our roof box and balancing on the wheel while doing it.  At some point I lost my traction on the tire and I slipped straight legged right on to ground.  At the time my lower back told me it was a little unhappy but nothing too major...while camping that night, I recall collecting firewood and breaking it in order to fit in the pit.  I used some raw leg power to break branches...the usual macho method of jumping on branches.  It did not cross my mind that the combination of riding, abrupt straight legged fall, and the leg stomping firewood collection method all added up to create the perfect combination of unfortunate events that would take a few days to catch up with me.  The dimmer light switch in the brain suddenly went bright when I tried putting on my shoe and the exact motion of trying to stick my foot in the shoe sent a sharp pain through the knee.  The push forward motion (not down, but forward) is what sent the knee into ouchie land. 

Option #4:  Spousal payback....maybe the spouse took to some crazy chinese torture treatment while in my sleep in order to pay me back for being old and ornery!  It is somewhat unlikely considering I am a light sleeper but being that she is a doc I suppose she could have conceivably slipped a little something in my drinkie-poo the night before...

While my knee gently weeps (OK, not so gently), my bikes sit alone in the garage and are not getting much love.  I might have to go into the garage and story tell....remind them of the good times we had until my knee heals enough to take them out again...ahhh I remember the time (no, it was not band camp)....

No comments:

Post a Comment