Thursday, March 31, 2011

Compex - Active Recovery post True Grit

I ran a Compex active recovery session on Saturday evening after the True Grit 50.  After spending over 5 hours on the bike during the race I figured this would be the litmus test to determine the efficacy of the e-stim unit.   Up until the True Grit, I had not spent more than 2 hours on the bike so the jump up in time in the saddle to over 5 hours was significant and there was bound to be some soreness and stiffness.  I felt the usual achey body and stiffness for a few hours after the race.  Once I ran the active recovery session my legs did seemingly feel better immediately after.

The pleasant surprise was that upon waking up on Sunday the legs felt much better than they usually had (and better than the prior evening) over a long push in the saddle.

Normally, I would just let the legs rest the day following an event but vacation days are precious and I did not want to miss a day of exploring/riding while in the desert.  I decided it would be a good idea to get on the road bike and spin somewhat lightly.  The local bike shop provided the beta and map and it was off to ride around Squall Hollow Lake.

Affirmation (and no, not one of those Stuart Smalley SNL affirmations 'I am good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me'') #2 of the Compex active recovery having done its work:

I fully expected my legs to feel heavy and having to coax them into riding.  Surprisingly, the legs felt pretty good (relatively speaking considering the prior day).  It was a 2 hour ride that was at a brisker pace than the leisurely stroll originally planned and the legs complied.  There was no 'heaviness' in the legs.  They did not have a lot of snap (did not try to hammer but made the legs work) but they responded well.

They responded so well in fact that I rode the following 2 days too (more to come on the Gooseberry rides later in the week) and ended up riding 4 days on...and the legs felt really good on the 4th day!

I am an e-stim believer!

The ride proper was amazing.  It was a road biker's paradise...smooth road, amazing scenery, huge shoulder, little traffic...mmm mmmm gooooood!

6 comments:

  1. Dude...posting about the inside of your chamois is generally a No-no.
    That said, whoa...way not to get chucked into the back of an ambulance, like some. Your bike is sick...we'll be duct taping weight to your chain stays for fairness. I think I just added the happiest additional pound to my steed for the Puff...that would be the difference between rigid and some fine Fox front plushness. I've been told this was not stupid! Rigid worked fine for Butte, though. Are you returning to West Fir? I hope so! Lastly, saw G. Kabush doing e-Stim on his neck in Fontana...that shiz must work wonders, just don't get carried away and forget to ride your bike! Hope to catch you on another ride with Twin Daddy this summer -Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo' Ham! Good to hear from you. Hope you guys are all well!
    I hear you on the inside of the chammy action...I figured it was dirty enough with mud that for this one time it was okiedokie....and YES, that was MUD!
    I am interested to hear your take on the fork - that was a dilemma for me...cush or no cushie...figure the option to go cush is still there though.
    No sure about the Puff yet - man, I really suffered last year - it was scorching hot and coming from our temps it kicked me tooshie good and proper like! I rode that with my fork locked out all day too (part of the reason I went rigid - figured the 29'r should take some of the abuse out of it all).
    Let me know when you get back up here...any races planned yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the weight trade-off. My thoughts went to suspension on the 2nd lap at Pierre's Hole. I was riding a Rock Solid, pinning it, hurting, and then getting passed on the techy downhill. I've spoken with two others who rode the creampuff rigid, and both said it ruined their arms. All I remember from '09 was bonking on the looooong descent to the covered bridge (full suspension/gears) and wishing it would end. It felt much better the 2nd time, heading into the finish! Soooo...yes, this idea is a work in progress, and will let you know.
    Racing: I think I have successfully lobbied for one event per month: Tax Day Circuit (Poci), Garden Cr Gap, High Uinta's, Boise 9-5, Puff, Pierre's Hole-50, Park City P2P, and wrap with Levi's Gran Fondo in Santa Rosa. (yeah...more races than months, that's how I think!). And you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is funny re:Puff - I had the exact same experience. The 1st time down to the bridge put the hurt on me. The 2nd time around I let go of the brakes and was ready to be done (2nd descent was about 10 mins faster too). The PH descent also sounds familiar...fine until some of the rougher singletrack when the squishies had the advantage.
    That is a full dance card with all those events (and several early season roadies)! I have not committed to any events yet and keep waiting for inspiration to sign up. I really did like the Boise 9to5...good setup with having the rig right there for support, so that might be an option again. P2P, need to look at that one too - so many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo ... P2P filled in 6 minutes! There is a whole new niche sport evolving called Online Race Registration. Not for the meek. One nice thing about the Fox fork, I won't spend my races hallucinating about snapped carbon fork stanchions, and my subsequent demise. Might not happen, but it sure seemed possible at times....yikes!

    Hope to catch up with you this summer under the watchful gaze of "Our Lady".

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! sounds like Laramie...it might be time for someone to set up a spider system like they have for auctions - automate registration for certain events once they are open! I like your ORR reference - lots of tears, beers, plan formulation, plan crushing!
    I definitely had similar concerns re: carbon fork but they were somewhat allayed (although not fully) when I saw this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA

    ReplyDelete