Thursday, July 21, 2011

MTB: Basin to Burton to 8 Mile

Sunday's ride was a group ride with the wifer and crew.  The weather forecast had predicted a scorcher of a day with temps getting into the 90's.  For once, they were correct...and it was not altogether a good thing.

Out of all the awesome riding we have here in town, going up Basin Creek (as opposed to descending) and  the 8 miles of hell that follows after Burton Parkway might just be my very least favorite trails in the area.  The truth is the Basin Creek climb is 90% of the reason I won't do the Butte 50 or 100 this year.  Riding should be fun and that initial mile getting out of Basin Creek is anything but...it climbs about 800 feet in the first mile!  In the 100, this mean and nasty section drops on you at around mile 65'ish in the heat of the day.

Weah weah weah - we still got out and rode and got a good and proper beat down.  I took 2 bottles with me and ran out of water about 1/2 through the ride....I could tell my body was starting to lose major strength and it would later be confirmed that I was losing a lot of water weight.  I got home and weighed myself and lost 5% of my body weight from dehydration!!!  No wonder I was a hurting unit the last hour +.

It was still a good ride though - it was just under 31 miles with about 5,000 ft of elevation gain.
Pix:
on the CDT through Burton Park
cresting the first climb on the 8 miles of hell
2/3 through 8 miles of #@$@
incredible view of the Highlands along the 8 miles of #@$#@
yet another killer view looking towards Butte and the Pintlers
Once we got home it was time to hyrdate and get some food in the system!  We ended up going out to Mackenzie River and wolfed down a couple of salads with our breadsticks and quesadilla...trying to gain back some of that 5% body weight loss!  Sometimes it is good to have to dig into the reserves but this time I might have gone into them a little too much - my lips were starting to crack - although I was still sweating so maybe it was not quite so melodramatic as I thought...


1 comment:

  1. With bistroMD you can trust that not only will you get gourmet meals, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss program is balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform to promote an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the diet plans for 5 to 7 days of entrees.
    STEP 2 - View your menu in advance and decide on the meals you prefer for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet program online.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your door.

    GET STARTED NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete