Friday, July 22, 2011

MTB: Nez Perce CDT

This past Monday night's ride was an opportunity to go ride the mosquito heaven that is the Nez Perce section of the CDT trail.  It was my third day on and I was still hacking up remnants of my head and chest cold.  It was another toasty day - tickling the low 90's on the thermo but the Nez was a little cooler considering it sits a little higher in elevation where you starting point is at around 6,400 ft.

I forgot how steep and tekkie the ride is.  It is a great change from all the other riding we have locally - just another flavor in the Baskin Robbins flavor pack of riding around Butte!


Part of the reason I rallied to ride on Monday is because it is the Monday night guy's ride that I had not gone to in a couple of months.  I was hoping to run into someone specific who I needed to confront about some very in-appropriate behavior that had been weighing on me.  Suffice it to say that this so called 'friend' decided he wanted to lambast me on a public forum and had the audacity to text my wife at 4:30 in the a.m.!  Not to air dirty laundry but let's just say that these were the final straws that overloaded said camel's back....But alas, this person was nowhere to be found...I had even suggested we got out for a beer earlier in the year to clear the air but of course cowards never want to face the repercussions of their actions!  As an adult, you can usually identify people who are not healthy for you to be around as they are constantly trying to make themselves feel better by trying to make others feel worse.  Needless to say spring time was a perfect time to weed the garden of toxic weeds.

As we were getting to ready to ride, I looked over at the Highlands Cycling Club figurehead and noticed he had my water bottle on his bike.  I have been struggling with keeping water bottles in the cage on the lower part of my down tube - they just seem to seek freedom as I ride and subsequently launch off the bike on their quest for un-emcumbered adventure!  I mentioned to him that he must have found my water bottle to which he quickly responded 'I know not what you speak of'.  I quickly explained how that was my water bottle from the 24 hrs of E-Rock to which he still denied having found it and that he had for a while...I figured I was not going to sit there and argue about something as inconsequential as a water bottle but it certainly adds another layer of how someone's actions define who they are.

At the end of the day, I remembered why I don't go on these Monday Night group rides...with experiences like those, they just aren't fun - and biking should be FUN!  Fortunately for me I was still basking in the afterglow of the BC experience so somehow these events were somewhat marginalized by all the good stuff!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment