Wednesday, July 27, 2011

MTB: Homestake to Pipestone CDT

Tuesday's temps cooled off a little from the prior days heat and made for just a perfect day to be out on a bike.  I did the good old standby ride from Homestake Pass over to Pipestone Pass and back.  I had been riding my singlespeed as of late and was curious to see what the legs would feel like with that particular ride.

It was yet another day of almost having an 'OOBE'...or I am going to tweak the acronym to imply 'Out Of Bike Experience'.  The bike almost felt like it was pedaling itself uphill.  My overall out/back time was a little under 10% faster than my usual grunt so I am starting to think that this bike just fits me well, has the right gear ratio for me, and being light as a feather also helps to swagger up some hills.  I don't feel like my legs are that much stronger than they were a week ago so I can only think it is the bike.

The interesting thing is that the last time I rode this was on my geared, full squish bike - it took me 2 hours...on my rigid single speed, I shaved 10 mins off that ride time.....just maybe this bike likes speed?  If that is the case, "Put me in Coach!!"

Ride info:

The ride was not without a little excitement though - the ride could have been faster but I was having some mechanical challenges that slowed my downhill a bit....I was fighting a leak in my rear tire and I had 2 cartridges of air to get me down.  I was carrying a spare tube just in case but I was hoping the tubeless would seal back up when I started to ride.  Unfortunately, I was running too low a tire pressure (around 22 psi) and I lost some air on a turn (heard the tire burp) and I lost some sealant...so the game was on to get down before the tire went flat - I stopped about 4 times to give it a quick boost of air with the quick fill air cannisters and motored down...

On the way down, I ran into a group of ladies who were tearing it up.  I was in a rush to get down before I ran out of quick fills and flatted so I did not get a chance to stop and chat.  I am usually more social on the trails but I could hear the tickie tockie of my tire losing air.  Fortunately we all had a chance to catch up back at the trailhead.  It was really cool to see the ladies reprezentin' on the trails!  As we were chatting, the wifer had just arrived at the trailhead to get her ride on (late shift on Tuesdays) so it was a veritable 'pahtay'.  One of the ladies signed up for the Butte 50 this weekend, so good luck to Holly for the 'fiddie'!  

It was a good ride despite the mechanicals and it was a very cathartic session for head clearing!  Mission accomplished...

No comments:

Post a Comment