Monday, July 25, 2011

MTB: Strip it Down

The Lynskey had been giving me the stink eye over the past few weeks for not taking it out and giving it some love.  I went back to basics and took the singlespeed out this weekend and decided to get back on the SS train...I forget just how much I enjoy the simplicity of it all!

Saturday's ride was one of those amazing rides where you feel the bike just rides itself.  The build fits me to a T and the bike just rides so well.  The rigid nature means absolutely no loss of power while pedaling and it just wants to please....and ohhh did it ever!

Saturday's ride started at Blacktail then down through the Archery Range over to Thompson where I caught the RR bed to Pipestone Pass and picked up the CDT over to Beaver Ponds and the connector trail from there over to Blacktail.  It was a super fun 14 miles with almost 3,000 ft of vertical.  The bike rode through things going uphill that I thought I would have to hike a bike so it was a pleasant surprise to be able to ride through some steeper sections and be able to clean it al - YEEHAA!
I had so much fun and felt so good on Saturday that I decided to put in a longer effort on Sunday.  At this point it was my third day on and the 7th day in the saddle (out of 9).  Game On!

I parked down at 9 mile and rode up to Thompson Park, did the lower loop, then one of the upper loops, then rode the RR up to Pipestone where I caught the Toll Canyon CDT to the top and pointed the bike back downhill on the super buff trail...at the bottom, I stayed on the CDT and took it over to Beaver Ponds and caught the connector over to Blacktail and then the road back to the car.  The legs were not nearly as snappy as they were on Friday but it was an awesome ride - 26 miles and 4,700 ft of elevation gain.  I ran into one person the whole day so it felt like it was my own little trail system.
It was a great day to be out and I managed to avoid the heat of the day by getting out on the trails earlier. All in all, it was a great weekend with great rides to help keep the head clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment