Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hand Down Pants Workout



The NBA season started yesterday and  I debated whether or not to buy the NBA League Pass again this year. After thinking about it for a little bit, I folded and ordered the package - what else are you going to do mid-winter in chilly Montana??.  It is harder and harder to support pro sports every year.  Most of these guys act like spoiled kids who get paid millions to play a sport that at times seems manipulated by the league.  This little conspiracy theory of mine flows over into other sports too as there always appear to be some serious reffing calls that at times give certain teams a huge advantage (Pittsburgh Steelers, LA Lakers?).  There is always the argument of how the NBA does not want small market teams to succeed, etc...As a fan, it makes it hard to support a product that is sometimes difficult to believe in.

It could also just be a sign that I am getting older and ornerier as time passes?  At the end of the day, I bought the Kool Aid and drank my first sip last night as I watched the season kick off.

Given our recent weather, the bike of choice last night was the indoor trainer - while watching one of the NBA games.  The pedals spun for an hour and the workout was about trying to keep a steady power output for 30 minutes, then taking a quick light spin for a minute and holding steady power for another 15 minutes, then a 1 min off and another 5 minutes of steady power, 1 more light min, and the last 5 min hurrah.  Our indoor trainer tracks most of the critical data points like wattage, HR, speed, distance, cadence, etc.  The workout out looked a little something like:
The good thing about tracking power is it keeps you honest...it makes it hard to convince yourself you are working hard when the numbers tell you differently.

I also managed to hit the Y yesterday for a quick lifting session.  I have been trying to get into the gym a little bit as of late.  It is good to cross train - especially in the winter.  It was also good to get the upper body moving and working.  Biking does not really work the upper body so lifting helps in that department.  As I was at the Y I ran into this new phenomenon....
I saw three different dudes, who must have all learned from the same tutor, doing the same thing in the gym free weight area (at different times).  They were talking on their phones with the other hand buried in their pants.  I suppose they were either trying to imitate Ed O Neal in Married with Children (but they were much deeper than the surface fingers around the belt like Ed above) but it gave me the heebie jeebies as I realized that they were putting their hands on their junk and then working out, using the same weights and bars I was.  It became a game of trying to figure out which weights they did not 'touch'...sort of like one of those kids' memory games but with much higher stakes.  It was so bewildering and bizarre that I could not find the words to say anything.  Now that I have had time to process it all, me thinks I might have to remind them they are in a public place the next time around - unless they want me to tea-bag them to help explain that it is a little ummm...inappropriate.

Not sure whether to think it is a Butte thing  (not to be confused with butt, although their hands were buried deep enough in their pants that they might just have been trying to give themselves a prostate exam)?  Or is it a function of getting older and less tolerant again?  wow, it is a sad day when the expectations get lowered so far as to contemplate whether sticking your hand in your pants and fondling yourself between sets while working out becomes OK...

no vids today...the database in my head could not find a relevant song ...unless of course you bring up the whole 'pants on the ground' vid...can't bring myself to do it....

No comments:

Post a Comment