Thursday, December 30, 2010

e-stim the Pinot way

I have slowly been forcing myself onto the indoor trainer 2 of every 3 days to try and maintain some fitness through the winter.  It is always a battle of wills and at times the bike wins, and at times laziness wins.  I have been trying to tweak my seat position slightly to see if I can find a state of mutual understanding between my right knee and the pedal.  My knee has been a little sore since last summer and I was hoping a little time off the bike was going to help calm it down.
The knee is been just slightly grumpy (but not enough to stop riding).  The indoor bike trainer and I have an agreement where I try to make sure it is kept happy by giving it company occasionally, and in return it makes sure I don't get too out of shape.

My last two trainer rides have been a little bit of an eye opener.  My heart rate has been getting a little higher than normal which must mean one of three things.
a) I rode a lot of last year 'tired' and over-trained and subsequently could not get the legs to fire up enough to crank up the heart rate.  or
b) I am slightly out of shape and am working harder (relative to heart rate) in the offseason. or
c) a little bit of both

After my indoor sesh, I fired up the e-stim unit and cranked away for about 45 mins of firing electricity through the quads.  A big chunk of the time was on the active recovery cycle on the unit but some of it was on what they call an 'endurance' setting where the muscles hurt as much as they would with traditional exercising.

It is pretty damn sweet to be able to drink a glass of Pinot while 'working out'


No comments:

Post a Comment