Friday, December 17, 2010

play hard...fall hard

The danger about playing hard is when you crash and burn, you do it in grand style.  Like most sports, the faster you go, the more in control you are (until you cross that line) - once that line is crossed then all bets are off and yard sales await.

Last night I went out with friends and did a little ice skating with their boy.  Bear in mind I have not laced up skates in decades so it was bound to be an interesting night.  I bit the ice a couple of times and I wish it was done in grand style at high speed but it was puttering on the ice and falling like a cartoon with arms waving in the air while my budonkadonk met the ice with a thud!  The worst part about  hitting the ice at slow speed is that it is always awkward and it always hurts.  As it turns out, the ice is hard...hmmmm

The first couple of laps were an adventure until I got my bearings and was able to get my balance a little.  I started to skate a little faster realizing it helped in keeping me upright...until of course I came up on people and had to try and navigate my way around them around a turn.  I over-estimated my new found skills and was able to save a few yard sales until of course the budonkadonk thudaroo.  All in all it was a great night and I have no delusions of being a good skater...or even an adequate skater.

No comments:

Post a Comment