Monday, August 29, 2011

MTB: Lost Cabin & Curly Creek

After seeing amazing pictures of the Lost Cabin Lake up in the Tobacco Roots, I decided to rally and head back to the Tobaccos and ride that trail.  On the way to the trailhead, I found myself in the middle of a Montana traffic jam...yes, you read that correctly...traffic on a back-roads 2 lane highway.  Specifically, this traffic jam was caused by.....cattle!  We came across  folks moving their cattle from one location to another via means of this lane highway.  It just meant some head on driving through the cattle for a couple of miles as the car flung cow pies from all the road deposits the cows were leaving.  At that moment I was thankful not to have done the Cardwell loop on my road bike or else those cow patties would have been all over me and the bike.

Once we got through the traffic jam, I made it to the trailhead and decided that after the Lost Cabin trail I would link up to the Curly trailhead, take the trailhead up to the lake and then take the Curly Creek trail back down.  Rumor has it that going up Curly Creek trail is not the best of choices as it is steep!  Turns out people were not making that up and I was pretty content to be going downhill on that as opposed to hiking a bike up-hill.

It turned into a great ride with great weather.  The scenery up at Lost Cabin was spectacular and the riding was equally so.  It is a gradual climb on nice singletrack until you hit the last mile where it gets a little steeper and more tekkie.  Other than a down tree, I was able to clean everything and keep my no-dab goal intact for the ride...yup, pretty stooopid goal but heck, it is always good to ride clean.
Upon arrival at the lake, the camera got busy and took a lot of pix....will post ride pix tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment